Passing wealth to the next generation
Estate planning is a vitally important part of our financial lives — regardless of your age or financial circumstances.
Why? Estate planning not only helps ensure that your assets are distributed as you intend upon your death, it can reduce the burden on your loved ones as they negotiate your end of life care and settle your estate.
Dreyfus Transfer of Wealth Kit
To help you put your wishes in writing — and make sure that your plan keeps pace with changes in your life, your family and federal tax policies — Dreyfus has created a Transfer of Wealth Kit with important tools and insights, such as:
• An estate management overview of what to consider as you craft your estate plan
• A document organizer for your important documents and contacts
• An estate balance sheet worksheet to help you, and your executor, value your estate
• A look at some common estate planning mistakes, oversights, assumptions and errors
• A helpful guide to initiating important conversations regarding your wishes
• A checklist for survivors, to help your loved ones get through the first days
Mutual fund strategies to avoid probate
Mutual fund investors have access to two important strategies that allow them to pass assets directly to their heirs while avoiding lengthy court probate proceedings.
- Make sure your beneficiary designations on your retirement accounts are up to date.
- Name a Transfer of Death (TOD) beneficiary for your non-retirement accounts. TOD registration is available for Individual and Joint Accounts (Joint Tenant with Rights of Survivorship or Tenants by Entirety) with a domestic address.
Don’t go it alone
We don’t just help our clients manage their wealth. At Dreyfus, we build personal relationships focused on your needs and your dreams. Most people, no matter what their level of investment experience or sophistication, can benefit from professional guidance when it comes to planning for the transfer of wealth.
Ask a financial advisor or estate planning professional to assist you
If you don't already have an advisor, call us at 1-800-896-2645 for assistance.If you're an investor with $100,000 or more to invest, you might be interested in the benefits offered by Dreyfus Advisor Services. Call us at 1-800-896-2645 to learn more.